In between talks they've shown a number of short video clips, most of them commercials, all of them pretty freaking clever. Here is one:
When June Cohen was introducing him, people were listening attentively, patiently like a good audience would. But when she said the word "wingsuit" there was a collective gasp. Rather than tell you who Ueli Gegenschatz is, I'll just tell you what he is: CRAY.ZEE. Wingsuit is suit he's invented to reduce fall rate of skydiving to approach something resembling human flight. Hair-raising and toe-curling aren't nearly intense enough to describe what this guy does.
This reminds me of one of my son's favorite videos on YouTube - Col. Joseph Kittinger jumping from a high altitude balloon. And by "high altitude" I mean really high - 102,000 feet.
Well known for her book about the world of morgues and their temporary residents, Stiff. Her newest book is Boink: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex.
10 Things You Didn't Know about Orgasm
1. You were having them in the womb - There was an article documenting what appears to be in-utero masturbation.
2. You don't need genitals. Yep. (one woman found that brushing her teeth triggered them)
3. You can have them when your dead. Do what? This can actually be triggered in brain dead patients who are still alive through respirator/life support. There's a spot on the spinal column that you can stimulate to create what's called the Lazurus Effect - a dead body will cross its arms over its chest.
4. Orgasm can cause bad breath.
5. ...and cure the hiccups.
6. Doctors once prescribed orgasm for fertility. (apparently this isn't true for women)
7. Pig farmers still do. (and I guess it is true)
OH MY GOD. Just - oh my god, the video she just showed. I
8. Female animals are having more fun than you think.
9. Studying human orgasm in the lab is not easy.
10. ...but it sure is entertaining. Kinsey decided to measure the force of ejaculate. 300 men, measuring tape and a movie camera. This experiment led to her second favorite quote encountered: "2 sheets were laid down to protect the oriental carpets."
But her favorite quote: "Cheese crumbs laid out in front of copulating rats will distract the female but not the male."
June Cohen declares she's renaming this TED session Crazy Sexy TED
Founder of Extrcycle does some cool lasso tricks for us.
And another commercial clip:
Lena Maria Klingvall
When she was born, she was immediately taken away for 3 days because she had no arms and only one normally formed leg.
"Many of us have handicaps, but most are invisible."
"Society would not adapt to me, so I would have to adapt to society."
"I felt just like my friends, only when they used their hands, I used my feet."
"My parents never told me where my limits were. They encouraged me to have fun and try again and again when something didn't work. I never quite understood there were things I shouldn't be able to do, like swimming."
This is one of those moments, watching a woman write calligraphy with her toes, that words like "I can't" seem tired and small and worn.
And another commercial break:
Oops, I forgot to say something about Herbie before I hit "post." Well, really, what is there to say? Genius will suffice.